Friday, November 16, 2012

"Resetting—Please Wait..."

In more than one posting here I've mentioned a friend who has a 7900; Dean was a great help when I was doing my research prior to buying my printer last year. He recently posted updates to this on the Luminous Landscape forums. He's had his 7900 for four years.

I asked Dean if he'd installed the most recent firmware, released by Epson on 6 September, 2012 (on their U.S. site -- perhaps earlier or later elsewhere). That version is HN129C5. I asked only because I haven't seen here the problem he described, and I also have not yet updated my printer's firmware to this latest version.

He replied that he had not yet installed that update, which means we both have the same firmware. At least that eliminates the update from his troubleshooting routine. Dean said he planned to install it, but hadn't had time; it's something I'm sure he'll do soon.

I've just wrapped up the last of the client print jobs I've been working on, so now's not a bad time for me to install this update, too.

There are a few differences in our set-ups. Dean uses Windows 7, while I use a Mac Pro with OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). I'm setting up a hard drive now with Apple's current OS, 10.8.2 "Lion", but I'm not yet finished building that. It seems unlikely the OS or driver is part of the problem. Also, Dean's printer is directly connected to his computer via USB, while my printer is on my wired network. Again, the connection method seems an unlikely suspect.

  --Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment