Monday, March 12, 2012

Is ANC Off When it's Off?

As mentioned in my last posting, I'd switched to MK ink for a series of client prints on mat paper. Since the printer was set up for that, I made a few of my own prints on the same paper. I rarely use mat papers for my photos, but for these pictures I wanted the softer look one gets from these papers.

Today I made seven prints for my client who shoots only panoramas. Per his preference, I printed these on HW Satin paper (see the sidebar for definitions); this required switching back to PK ink. I pressed the button to make the change. As reported earlier, this takes a couple of minutes, during which a progress bar is displayed. But the process isn't really completed until a print is made. When the job is run, the printer stops and performs a cleaning. Based on before-and-after comparisons of ink levels, this cleaning cleans all colors. As best I can determine, this cleaning isn't optional. When finished, more than just the MK/PK inks are reduced slightly, as is maintenance cartridge capacity (as one would expect).

Since I knew this cleaning would take place, I made the ink change, and then inserted a piece of plain bond paper to run a nozzle check print. When I initiated that, the cleaning happened. As before, I was required to swap my LK cartridge, showing 1% ink remaining, with a new cartridge, so the cleaning could continue. However, this time I was also required to swap out my LLK, also with 1% remaining, with a new cartridge. As mentioned in my last posting, the printer only shows the need to replace a cartridge. It does not specify which. Since I knew I had two at 1% (or less), it was easy enough to guess which to replace. Once the cleaning finished, the nozzle check printed (no clogs). I then swapped back the two 1% cartridges.

Next I loaded a roll of HW Satin, and then sent the first print job. The printer came to life as it usual, but then stopped. It insisted I replace a low ink cartridge so it could run a cleaning. Having just done that, followed by printing a perfect nozzle check, I had no idea why a cleaning was necessary. Why would the printer think a cleaning was necessary? If you've been reading this blog for a while, you'll know I disabled the 7900's ANC (auto-nozzle check) months ago, so the machine shouldn't be checking nozzles by itself, right?

With no other choice, I swapped the 1% LK with the new LK. The printer then performed a cleaning, not stopping to ask for a full LLK. During the cleaning I watched the printer's LCD. At one point it's "Cleaning, please wait" message was briefly replaced by "Auto Nozzle Check". This flashed on the display for just a few seconds, after which the "Cleaning, please wait" message returned. A minute or so later, that message disappeared, and the print job I'd sent several minutes earlier began. The job completed without issue. However, the full LK ink was in place and being used.

When the print finished I checked the setup (via the printer's control panel); I confirmed that ANC is turned off. I then completed the client's print jobs with the full LK in place.

So, a mystery. Perhaps the low ink level in LK, which has been showing 1% for several weeks and several dozen prints, somehow triggered this, but I have my doubts. It's pretty well documented around the Web that one can print until a cartridge is quite empty, replace that cartridge in the middle of a print job, and printing will continue as it should. That has yet to happen with either of my lowest inks. Later in the day I made a print, on a B size sheet of Canson Infinity Platine Fiber Rag, of my newest snowy owl photo. Before making that print I put the 1% LK cartridge back in the printer. The print is fine; there were no complaints, messages, or cleanings from the printer.

  --Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment