Sunday, February 5, 2012

Another Owl Print; No Clogs After Ten Days

It's been ten days since I made my last print. The 7900 has been on, but in power-save (sleep) mode since 27 January. ANC is off, so the printer does not wake for periodic nozzle checks and cleanings.

Today I made another print of a snowy owl photo, this one a vertical on B size (11 x 17 inches) Canson Infinity Platine Fiber Rag 310. This is a lovely paper, 100% cotton, no optical brightening agents, stiff and very flat, and with a wonderful soft gloss—softer, even than GGFS. I used the profile available on Canson's site. When I made my test prints with this paper and profile, I noted the profile was "just OK", not great. I've read comments on the Luminous Landscape Printers, Papers, and Ink forum from people who think Canson's profiles in general are pretty bad.

I printed a nozzle check as usual, no problems found. Room RH was 40%, temperature 57°F (14C). I was making this print to fit a mat and frame I have on-hand. I set the print size to 10.6 x 15.8 inches (26.9 x 40 cm). To insure a sufficiently wide top margin for hinge mounting, I rotated the image in Photoshop 180°, putting the top of the picture at the bottom. In the print driver dialog I set the paper size to the standard US B 11x17 (sheet), and checked the Center Image checkbox. The image was upside down in the preview.

The print exited the printer bottom first. The measured right and left margins are just under .25 inch. The top margin is slightly more than .75 inch. The print is nice enough; sky color is slightly less blue than on-screen, but it's acceptable. I oversharpened a bit. If I print this picture again I'll sharpen a bit less.

The LK ink is still at 1%. The maintenance cartridge is up to 61%!

The owls are still with us. I'm not getting a lot of photographs, but I still go every couple of days  to the area where the birds are hanging out, still hoping to get that flight shot. The latest article on my Web site has a bit more about this, along with some photos.

  --Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment