Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A New Client, Routine Print Jobs

I've probably mentioned I'm the Gallery Director at the Sandpiper Art Gallery, a non-profit gallery here in Polson, MT. Nothing to get excited about; it's a volunteer position, as are all others on the gallery's board of directors. In fact, there are no paid employees—it's volunteer-run. It works much like the typical co-op gallery, operated by gallery members, but being a 501-c3 (non-profit), we can't call it a co-op. All of this is a little beside my point, anyway.

One of the SAG's member artists is a very talented and busy watercolor painter. Using a service in Kalispell, MT, she's had several of her paintings scanned, those scans being saved as Photoshop files. The files are 8-bit, in the sRGB color space, and are 300ppi. She's done quite well with prints, which she insists on calling giclées, from these files. I've seen the original paintings in close proximity to the prints; the service bureau did a good job with color matching, etc.

A couple of months ago she got a call from the service bureau, informing her they were shutting down immediately; if she wanted her files, she'd have to go there (about a 100 mile/160 km round trip) and pick up a DVD no later than the next day. She did that, and began looking for a new source for her prints. Although we've known each other for a few years, it never occurred to her that I could print her files, and of course I was unaware of the need. Late last year I made some prints for one of the Sandpiper's other member artists, who passed the word along.

Last week I picked up the DVD and made some test prints on the same paper the service bureau used, Epson's Ultra Premium Presentation Paper (matte), formerly known as Enhanced Matte. I don't use this paper for my own work, but I have some inventory of letter size sheets, which my wife uses when printing color signs and business graphics on an antique HP "PhotoSmart" printer we have on our network. From my earliest days with my now-departed iPF 5000, I also have some A3/B sheets of the stuff. This paper is not lignin-free, and thanks to OBAs is a very bright white. It's inexpensive, and has it's place (obviously, as it's what this client wants), but it's not something I'll use for my own work.

A few days ago I ran the sample prints, using the "EnhancedMattePaper_PK" profile that was installed with the 7900's driver software. I used that because I didn't want to switch to MK ink. I very rarely print on mat papers, so I very rarely use MK, which is why it's still at 52% (since installation in late October). The print jobs were completely routine, starting with a nozzle check (no clogs), and then running the prints.

I delivered the test prints today. We compared them to a few remaining prints from the service bureau. To my eye they're as close to a perfect match as one could expect. My new client was delighted.

I need only up-sample the files from 300 to 360ppi and print. To save the client a little money, I made new files that put two of the smaller size prints on a single 13x19 sheet. I will do the same for the larger size print, which will print on roll paper I'll order for these jobs.

  --Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment