Friday, April 12, 2013

VLM and LC Clogs, Again

In my previous posting (4 April), I described dealing with some nozzle issues after the printer had been idle for several weeks. The problems were with the VLM and LC channels. Today, a little over a week since I last printed, I set up to make a pair of prints across the width of a 24-inch roll of Luster. The "pair" is two of the same photo, in the same size.

I set up as usual, starting with a nozzle check print on plain paper. I found the central third of the patterns of both VLM and LC missing. Note that these are paired channels. The cartridges for these inks are at 80% and 62%, respectively. I  ran a standard cleaning of the VLM/LC pair, resolving the problem.

As the cleaning cycle completed I received a phone call, which kept me away from the machine for perhaps 15 minutes. After the call I printed a nozzle check, confirmed all channels were clear, and then fed the roll paper and made my prints. No problems found, the prints look great.

Of interest, though, is that the same channels had ink delivery problems today as did on 3 April, the last time the printer was used. Looking back through my nozzle check prints for the last several months, I found problems with either VLM, LC, or both on six of the thirteen check prints run over that period. No other channels had nearly as many problems.

This may or may not indicate a problem with the head or ink delivery system for the VLM/LC channel. Something to keep an eye on.

  --Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment