Thursday, April 25, 2013

When Things "Just Work"

Some years ago Honda spent hundreds of hours, and a great deal of money, producing a fascinating commercial. It uses the component parts of a Honda Accord in a complex "Mousetrap" game-like sequence of events. At the end, Garrison Keillor says, in the commercial's only spoken words, "Isn't it nice when things just work?"

Yea, it is. Many of my postings over the last few months have been about starting a print job, and dealing with clearing clogs (or whatever ink delivery problems appear as clogs) before any printing can be done. Most of the clogs my 7900 has suffered have been easy enough to clear. Usually a simple cleaning of the affected pair of channels has resolved the problem. Occasionally a standard cleaning fails, forcing me to do a "powerful" clean. OK, not a big deal.

Still, dealing with clogs seems to be normal, so much so that any time I set up for a print job, I assume clearing one or more clogged channels will be part of the work. It's a hassle; in a few cases I've put off a print job simply because I knew I didn't have time to deal with the inevitable clogs. I'd come back to it, run the nozzle check, and then do the necessary cleanings when I had time for it.

What a pleasure it is to set up a job and have no clogs! One of my popular images of snowy owls sold to a gallery customer a few days ago. Another customer had queued up behind the first, hoping to get the same print. These are small, matted prints, which I sell in at a fairly low price, and in fairly high volumes. As there was only one copy in the bin, I received a call asking if I could provide another right away. Naturally I agreed, but had none on-hand. I set up right away to print multiple copies on a 24 inch roll of luster.

I ran a nozzle check as usual, found no clogs. I loaded the roll paper, sent the print job from Photoshop, and got a series of perfect prints. Quick, simple, and hassle-free! I'd forgotten that on these rare occasions, the 7900 truly is a joy to use.

Isn't it nice when things just work?

  --Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment