Monday, August 20, 2012

VM "Clog" Goes Away By Itself

In my last posting I mentioned the nozzle-check print showed a tiny gap in VM, and that I'd ignored this and printed anyway. I had other problems when printing, but none related to the few missing VM nozzles. I had to clean (twice) a nozzle pair that did not include VM; when those nozzles were back to 100% I still had the tiny gap in VM. Not a surprise.

Today I made a print on a 24 inch roll of Luster. As usual, I started the job by printing a nozzle check. Interestingly, the tiny gap in VM was gone. There were no missing nozzles. I hadn't cleaned the pair that includes VM.

The provides additional evidence, corroborating that reported on various printing forums, that not all nozzle clogs are clogs. Gaps in nozzle check patterns may be caused by ink being "pulled back" away from the nozzles under some circumstances. Speculation, of course, given the absence of any verifiable information from Epson.

In any case, nozzle clogs aren't always clogs, but perhaps should be called "ink delivery problems", since we often don't know their causes.

Today my nozzle check was perfect, as was the print that followed it.

  --Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment