Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Description of New Firmware, Print Job Backlog

While I was away last week I received an email from Josef Lamber with this description of the changes in the new 7900 firmware:
Versions: 
Printer: HN129C5 Network: 2.11 SpectroProofer: AC3085 
Improvements: 
Add new Paper Feed Adjust feature, Add new Standard color calibration feature, Improve the productivity of photo roll paper printing, Improvement of the amount of suction fan for plain paper, Improvement of printing from multiple client at the same time.
I couldn't read most of his comments (in German); I assume this came from a German (or European) Epson support page. Thanks very much, Josef!

Photo being printed © Judith Bromley
Since I've returned from my trip to very smoky (thanks to three large wildfires more or less surrounding the parks) Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks I've been quite busy getting out client print jobs that have stacked up. I'm making my way toward the end of the backlog. Since my printer is working well (as is the Mac driver, apparently), I won't install the updates until I wrap up these print jobs.

One of the jobs I printed today included a panoramic image 42 inches (107 cm) long, but only 5 inches (13 cm) high. I expected this to be an odd-looking photograph, but in fact it's very cool, capturing lots of detail across a very wide sweep of the landscape above western Montana's Flathead Lake, where both the photographer and I live.

The narrowest roll paper I have is 17 inches. Printing that pano would have wasted a great deal of paper, but fortunately the same photographer wanted a couple of additional photos printed. As it turned out I could "nest" those together in a new Photoshop file and print them as a single item to be cut apart after a suitable drying period. Very little paper (GGFS) was wasted.

It's a little hard to see in the small photo here. The pano is along the left side of the paper, and is not yet completely printed. The two larger images are "abstractions" of a pair of horses.

  --Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment