Thursday, September 13, 2012

Large Prints, Soft Paper

I recently received an order from a Michigan client who shoots only wide panoramic pictures. Seems he has an opportunity to display some pieces in a swanky local restaurant, and they wanted the images printed large.

I'd seen and printed two of the ten pictures before. The client wanted several in this new batch printed 48 inches (122 cm) wide. In the past I'd printed his work on the Canon HW Satin. I printed this new order on Epson's Luster. The surface is very similar to the Canon in texture and tone. The paper is slightly lighter in weight, and very "soft", that is, a very flexible paper that lays almost perfectly flat when it comes off the roll.

Photo being printed © Steve Ross
The printing was completely routine. I encountered no problems with the printer or the paper. In between two of the prints I received a "replace ink" message on the printer's LCD, which showed the VM cartridge as empty. This was one of the 90ml "starter" cartridges; it's been showing 1% for a long time. No surprise it had to be changed. I have several others in that same 1% state. I expect the 7900 to require changing them every time I print. Apparently one gets very good mileage from that last 1%.

One thing I learned while doing this job: large prints are a challenge to handle. After the printer cuts a 24 inch wide by 53 inch long sheet from the roll, one must be very careful to pick up the print and move it to a table without kinking or dimpling the paper. I suspect this is especially true of very soft papers like the luster. I've printed this large on Moab Entrada Natural 300gsm, an extraordinarily stiff paper. The stuff is like aluminum flashing; it fights hard to maintain its curl. I had no trouble handling those prints. The luster's a very different animal.

I've cautioned the client to minimize handling, and to be very careful with the prints. He's not known for doing anything carefully; I won't be surprised to hear one or more is damaged as he gets his first look at them, or transports them to his framer.

  --Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment